2.04.2008

I'm not a ____ bag

I really don't want to be one of annoying those "I was green before it was cool" people, but I was.  Because of this, I find myself really excited about how trendy living the green lifestyle has become, yet at the same time frustrated at those who I know will go back to their SUV driving, light leaving on-ing, baby seal clubbing ways once no one is looking.

Perhaps some of you will remember the Whole Foods bag craze from last summer.  I remember because I was walking past the store in Union Square around 11 PM one random night and saw teens camped out for blocks like John Lennon had risen from the dead to play one last song - or Hannah Montana was doing a private accoustic show, take your pick.  I later found out that they were waiting for the limited edition "I'm Not A Plastic Bag" designed by Anya Hindmarch.

I'm all about raising awareness in non-traditional methods and reaching out to the young generations to engage them in this fight against climate change, but this is one of the times where I feel like the mark was completely missed.  Mere hours after being on sale the bags were available on ebay for hundreds of dollars (they originally retailed for $15).  Soon they were accompanying the oh-so-stylish arms of Keira Knightley and Lily Cole.  "Okay," I thought as I saw girls use them for purses around the city, "Sure they're just using them as an addition to what I am sure is a large purse collection and not as a substitute to transport groceries, but at least they're getting the message out there, right?"

I had almost forgot about the bags until a few days ago, when I walked down to the uptown A, C, E platform at 14th Street and saw a woman who was using it as her purse WHILE CARRYING A PLASTIC BAG FULL OF GROCERIES.  I took a few deep breathes and overcame my immediate instinct to push her in front of the train (it did help that she moved just a little beyond my reach).  I still think I could have made an argument in court, not to just the tree huggers, but to any rational human being who realized the sheer stupidity of the situation.  In fact, I may have been awarded a Darwin award, or at least helped this unfortunate girl earn hers.

I'm trying to think of a way to end this entry with a tip, but all I can come up with is: Don't be stupid and people won't push you in front of trains.


No comments: