3.04.2008

A Common Thread

I have always wondered why more Christians don’t also consider themselves environmentalists. Moving into the most Holy time of year for Christians, I was moved to revisit and revamp a blog I wrote almost two years ago.

I believe that there are many connections between environmentalism and numerous religions, particularly Buddhism, and I believe that God speaks many languages and knows many cultures. However, I am dedicating this particular blog to the responsibility I believe Christians have to the fight against global warming, the responsibility they have to fight for the animals who cannot speak for themselves, and to the responsibility they have to the fight for the poor of the world who are exposed to countless number of harmful chemicals dumped in their back yards because the rich of the world find it convenient to do so. I am dedicating this blog to Christianity because it is the religion of which I know the most and of whose text I have most studied (and I believe that I am even a novice at that).

The connection between Christianity and environmentalism just seems logical to me. When I speak of Christianity, I am referring to it in its truest form, or at least its truest form I know. It’s incredibly unfortunate that Christianity is represented by so many judgmental and greedy individuals. I realize that our media does give more attention to brainless ranting and raving, but maybe if enough people who had positive messages spoke out, the media would be forced to pay attention. Below are a few passages from the Bible that I think show how easy the bridge would be to build between the two groups as well as illustrate the duty of a Christian to stand up and take stewardship of this beautiful gift we call Earth and of all of God’s creatures.


Psalm 96:10,12 The Lord Reigns. . . Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy.

Ezekiel 34: 17, 18 As for you, my flock. . . .Is it not enough for you to feed on good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?

Job 12:7-10 But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all humanity.

Psalm 104: 25, 30 In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number living things both large and small. . . When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the earth.

Isaiah 55: 12-13 . . .The mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. . . All this will be a memorial for the Lord, a sign that for all time will not be cut off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.