3.26.2008

My Footprint is HOW Big?

Thanks to my pal emKem and her fantastic blog for this find. I was exploring online a bit last night when I came across this website on emKem’s blog that determines your Ecological Footprint. It’s a simple quiz that takes 10 minutes. “No problem,” I thought as I rolled up my organic cotton sleeves and took out some recycling, “My vegetarian food eatin’, plastic bottle recyclin’, public transportation ridin’ footprint is going to be SO small, this will be fun.”

So I begin. I answer all of the questions truthfully and find myself smiling with an odd sense of self. I reach the end and eagerly click to find out my footprint: 11 acres. Not bad when you consider the average footprint in the U.S. is 22. I’m half as bad (or twice as good) as the average American…in short, I rock.

Then I look at the next line “If everyone on the planet lived like you, we would need 2.4 planets.” WHAT? No. Let me check again. Yes, 2.4 planets. This is a bit of a blow to the sense of self that previously made me smile. While I may be a tree-hugging hippie, I’m still consuming like there is no tomorrow. After this quick but harsh reality check, I see several links with suggestions of ways to reduce consumption. Those resources are great, but I think the site can also serve as a good reminder that we can always do more. An environmentalist struggles daily with doing what is right versus what is easy. Sure, it’s easier to throw something away when there are no public recycle options, but why not just tuck it in your purse and recycle it when you get home?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, um, I apparently need 15 acres, which equals 3.4 planets. Not ok with me. Great perspective though...thanks!

emKem said...

Thanks for the nod! ;o)